April 12, 2012

Out Back

So today (whoops, yesterday now) started with a bang. More specifically, a neighbor pounding on the door at 7:45 waking me to alert that a neighborhood high schooler had just rear ended my street-parked car (street-parked due to the fact that the pile of compost I mentioned in the last post is smack in the middle of our driveway), pretty much, I do believe, totaling her car and doing some pretty extensive damage to mine. Poor girl, she was physically ok, but pretty upset, crying initially, and just kept saying how sorry she was. Ultimately, despite the ensuing hassle inherent in such a situation, more than anything else, I just felt really sorry for her. I mean, they're just cars. Poo happens. Everyone was in high school once upon a time.

The least stressful part of the day by far was the five minutes I spent in the backyard taking these pictures of what's currently growing . Above, first bloom on the strawberry plants.

 Peony bush one.
 Peony bush two.
Herb patch. The oregano (in the ground left) and parsley (in the ground right, amongst the bushes) never really completely died out over the winter. Growing strong now. In the pots, mint (left) is making a come-back, rosemary (center) is trying, and thyme (right) is looking better and better.
 Oregano close-up.
Parsley close-up.

We are leaving Ohio behind for the weekend, off to a wedding in Rhode Island tomorrow (whoops again, today, like I should be up in t-minus 4 hours). The husband and I's travels in that neck of the woods have been pretty limited up to this point, so we're both super excited. We're spending tomorrow afternoon in Newport, which I have heard from all around is pretty much amazing, especially if you're into 50+ room summer cottages. (I am.) So back next week with hopefully loads of pics to show for a good time had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment